This morning I was scrolling through my instagram feed and saw some fantastic succulents in milk glass vases. I’ve been collecting milk glass vases for over a year & I’m always looking for ideas on adorning them. So, I read the caption. It said DIY. Could it be? Could I make my own faux succulents? I was totally inspired by Lucy’s post over at Craftberry Bush for Foam Sheet Succulent Tutorial. I was inspired by the project, but also inspired that she used things that she already had around the house. I too have a material hoarding problem in my craft closet. I knew I didn’t have the foam sheets to make these succulents, but one material that I always hoard is canvas. I elaborated with my own hoarded materials; canvas, left over paint samples, bamboo skewers (I’ve been hoarding a box of 1000, you know, just incase).
I’ve never posted a DIY post before. I do a lot of DIY projects, but I’m more of a fly by the seat of my pants DIYer . . . so, I don’t waste the time to document & plan out steps. I just wing it. If it works, fantastic! If it doesn’t, it gets thrown in the trash. I debated even boring you with my terrible photos of this project, because the original Foam Sheet Succulent Tutorial is so beautifully thought out and photographed.
I followed Lucy’s instructions, but with my hoarded items. A piece of canvas instead of a foam sheet, latex paint samples instead of acrylic Decoart paint.
1) Paint both sides of the canvas with a yellow & green paint mixture. I wish my paint would’ve had a little more variation in it, but the latex paint blended a little too well.
2) Allow to dry . . . or if you’re super impatient like me you’ll start cutting while it’s still tacky.
3) Cut 2 small leaves, 3 medium leaves, 7 large leaves & 7 extra large leaves.
4) Fold the 2 small leaves & hot glue them individually to the top of the skewer. I did this instead of wrapping the stick.
5) Place the 3 medium leaves around the skewer.
6) Place the large leaves around those, making sure to alternate them or place them in bare areas.
7) Place the extra large leaves on top of those, doing the same alternating pattern.
8) Once glued, pull the leaves down to fill out the plant.
I’m pleased with how they turned out. Added a little spring to my milk vase collection. Now, if I could just figure out how to DIY some cotton branches I’d be set . . . I love doing DIY projects that cost me absolutely nothing. But, if you are not a craft project hoarder and were to buy the supplies it would cost less than $10.